Monday, June 30, 2014

Officially a flimsy!

I can officially call my "man quilt" a flimsy! Yay!

It's been slow going over the past week or so partly due to "designer indecision" meaning that I'd sew something, not like it, rip it out and start again...too many times than I'd care to mention...

And the continuing, persistant pain in my hip allowing me only limited time to be able to sit and sew. But that's okay because it's the journey I love and not the speed at which I can complete a project.


I have no problem painting what I see in my mind's eye but I still have some issues when it comes to transferring my ideas to fabric.  Most times I cannot get it to look as realistic as I'd like because we're limited by the fabric that's available on the market.


Having said that, I'm really pleased with the end result. It's going to be a biggie, finishing at 98" x 108"...a large queen or small king.


I took these photos of the flimsy on the double or full sized bed in the quilt room that Darlene has set up at A Needle Pulling Thread Quilt Shop because it is lower than ours at home. Sometime this week I'll be sending it off to my friend Alice who will custom quilt it but because it's summer and vacation time, she won't be able to get to it until August. 

In the interim I'll be able to take my time writing up the instructions because I'll be releasing the pattern as soon as I get the binding sewn on and the final photos taken once it arrives back home. I haven't decided on a title as yet but it will be chosen from all the suggestions that came in for which I'd like to thank you all.
Oh, and I just would like to add that Mr. Painted Quilt loves it and asked when I was going to start on "Part II". They just have no idea, do they? *wink*

Happy stitching!

28 comments:

Sandi said...

Kaaren, this is such a lovely design. Any outdoors man would definitely enjoy calling it his own.

May you find something to help you with your hip pain and discomfort soon.

Enjoy Canada Day tomorrow!

Frog Quilter said...

Stunning!!!

Needled Mom said...

That is just fabulous, Kaaren.

Teresa F. said...

Wonderful design. Another fabulous quilt, congrats Karen.
Hurry, my giveaway is almost closed, visit my blog and hop in.
Hugs,
Teresa

barcord said...

Another really special design. It's no wonder Mr PQ likes it. Beautiful.

Susannah said...

Wonderful!!! Really glad your husband loves it. That must make you feel so good!

Be careful with your hip!

Susannah

Podunk Pretties said...

Wonderful! But don't show my hubby, he'll drive me crazy wanting one just like it!

celkalee said...

Dearest Kaaren, despite the fact that some re-sewing was required...I tend to think you transfer ideas painted, drawn or whatever on to fabric extremely well! My husband purchased two of your wool felt patterns a few weeks ago for me (the needle caddy with the little sheep on the front and the amazing bag with glorious applique elements!) and they are now in the queue for me and for special gifts for stitching friends. Thank you for sharing your amazing talents!

ria vogelzang said...

What a really great man-quilt! :)
Love the detail and the colours!
Hope the pain and discomfort with your hip will soon be over...
Greetz from the Netherlands, Ria.

gracie said...

It looks wonderful.

Lesley said...

Totally awesome! You really created the perfect man quilt and I can see why Mr. Painted Quilt loves it. Well done, Kaaren!

Janet O. said...

I hadn't considered the limiting factor of the fabrics available as opposed to what you envision in your mind. That would be frustrating. But I think you have done an amazing job of incorporating the fabrics into the look of the outdoors. Wonderful guy quilt!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Husbands are wonderful--clueless to amount of work in a quilt

Candace said...

It's incredible, Kaaren! My favorite block in the the fish basket and lure - they look so realistic! Mr PQ is one lucky fella!
Cheers!

ShirleyC said...

It is just awesome! I know you have to be very proud.

Quiltgal said...

Absolutely beautiful, Enjoy Canada Day Tomorrow.

margaret said...

a wonderful quilt, so much to see and admire here, hope the hip stops giving you pain soon

Patty said...

It came out beautiful Kaaren!

Karen said...

I think you did well in creating realistic.

Chloe2 said...

Hi Kaaren,

Not sure where you managed to find the appropriate fabrics but it is wonderful! You are so talented and should be super proud!

May I say that you do not have to be a man to love this quilt as well.

julieQ said...

Karen, you are an awesome designer...this quilt is no exception!

antique quilter said...

ok Kaaren this is just wonderful, congrats on finishing it. I hear you on its about the journey its not a race.
hope the hip is feeling better
Happy Canada Day
Kathie

susiefloozie said...

Love it!! I especially love how your said you love the journey and the speed is not that important. I too feel the EXACT same way. I have many friends that just want to get their projects done. I do too .... eventually. But it's not that important to me.

Anonymous said...

Great quilt for the man who hunts and fish. Mi could see this in a dark wooded cabin for sure!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Hunt. Fish. Camp. That is the sales motto for Gander Mountain. That is what your handsome outdoorsy Man Quilt says to me. I'd rather create the quilt than write the pattern. Happy Sales!

grandmarockton said...

THANKS for the Beautiful Manly quilt! so happy there will pattern!

JessicaSews said...

Love the quilt!

Unknown said...

this is a true piece of art!